Rossiter Lake Ramble

April 8th, 2015 | by | 7 Comments
Published in BC Parks, Destinations, Hiking
Tags: , , , ,

I’ve been meaning to hike down to Rossiter and Divers Lake for some time but they’re a bit off the beaten track and access is essentially in and back. Both of these gorgeous lakes were added to Strathcona Provincial Park back in 2003.

Rossiter Lake

Rossiter Lake

Access to Rossiter Lake (the first lake in the chain) is via logging roads. I thought about driving down to the lake level, but quickly realized that the road had a few dips that were too much for my little two wheel drive. Overall the road is in pretty good shape and should be no problem for a four wheel drive truck.

Rather than risk tearing the bottom out of my car, I ended up leaving it on the road beyond the Raven Lodge and then followed the logging road down hill. The walking was easy (the longer I walked, the more time I spent estimating how long it would take to return to my vehicle).

The road eventually levels out and then curves sharply to the right. At this point there is a junction and another road heads to the left, immediately crosses an old log bridge and then becomes overgrown with red alder. It looks somewhat passable, but this might be a good place to leave your vehicle. About 20 minutes walk on this road takes you to a trail that leads down to Rossiter lake and a magnificent view of Mount Allan Brooks and Mount Albert Edward beyond.

I enjoyed the sunset at Rossiter and then started retracing my route back to my vehicle. The uphill climb was long, but not overly strenuous. Because the road was so open there was still plenty of light even though the sun had set. Even so, starting this hike in the morning and then spending the day continuing on to Divers Lake would be a good way to go. I’m definitely going to try it again once spring arrives more fully and explore through to Divers Lake.

Getting There:

Follow signage directing you to Mount Washington ski resort. Turn off on Nordic Road to the cross-country ski area and the Paradise Meadows trailhead. Drive past the Raven Lodge and straight onto a gravel logging road. Look for your first drivable gravel road going down hill to the right (if you see the biathlon area you’ve gone too far). Park here if you don’t have good clearance in your vehicle, consider driving down to the bottom of the hill if you’ve got a truck as it’ll save you the walk back up the hill. Note that there are a couple of dips on the way down and few places to turn around.

Read More:

Responses

1. elizabeth says:

April 8th, 2015 at 7:33 pm (#)

hi
    I am glad to have you and your rambles back in my e-mail
    so many places I have not been in BC and at my age will not see
    except in photos taken by people like you

2. Dave Ingram says:

April 9th, 2015 at 12:10 am (#)

Thanks Elizabeth – it’s been a busy couple of months, finally finding time to start posting again. Glad you’re enjoying the photographs and adventures!

3. Toad Hollow Photography says:

April 16th, 2015 at 2:01 pm (#)

This is just wonderful Dave, what a dramatic and compelling image!!

4. Dave Ingram says:

April 16th, 2015 at 8:19 pm (#)

Thanks – I definitely want to explore this area further. Access is fairly decent, would make a perfect full day hike.

5. A Collection of 30 Awesome Photography Links | Light Stalking says:

April 21st, 2015 at 6:01 am (#)

[…] Rossiter Lake Ramble – a distinctive and dramatic black-and-white piece captured and shared by Dave Ingram takes us deep into the forests of Vancouver Island where our incredible landscapes are explored and shared photographically.  This remote location is one that many folks will never have a chance to see in person, and Dave’s incredible capture will share a glimpse of a place that is really only inhabited by wildlife. […]

6. Kim says:

June 24th, 2015 at 8:03 pm (#)

About how long did it take for you to walk to Drivers & Rossiter Lake or over all km’s? You mentioned you started driving, can one bike to the lakes. Not too sure if bikes would be aloud in part of the park 🙂

7. Dave Ingram says:

June 26th, 2015 at 3:28 pm (#)

Hello Kim – I think that you could bike most of the way to the lakes. Access to the first lake is essentially on logging road, the first bit is good gravel and passable with a vehicle with clearance so you shouldn’t have problems there. The second stretch of road (where you turn off the main road) is older and overgrown in places. Definitely doable with a mountain bike. Once you get to the lake, I think that you’re going to have to walk. Keep in mind that going down will be easy, riding back up that long hill to Raven Lodge is going to be a workout. I think that 45 minutes to an hour would be a good estimate for walking in to the first lake, slightly longer on the way back.

Record a Comment

by

Related Posts

Join 153 other subscribers

Island Nature on Tumblr

• photo from Tumblr

Payzant Falls on the Juan De Fuca trail close to Port Renfrew, Vancouver Island, British Columbia. A bit of a short slog through some muddy trail to get to this location (about 3km from the trailhead) but well worth it. Best on an overcast day, with too much sun there’s too much contrast.

Fuji X-T1, VSCO Kodak Portra 160 film emulation.

02/22/16

• photo from Tumblr

365/365
    Light Show at Kye Bay

Kids and I took a break from northern light hunting to do a little light painting dance down on the wet sand flats at Kye Bay on New Year’s Eve. Looks like a satellite did a walk through as well. Nice way to end the year and finish up this 365 Day Project - it’s been challenging at times but overall well worth doing.

Fuji X-T1, Fuji Classic Chrome camera profile, 125 second exposure

01/03/16

• photo from Tumblr

364/365
    Oyster Bay at Night

Kids and I drove north to Oyster Bay with the hopes of maybe seeing the northern lights which were forecasted. We were clouded in but I decided to take a photograph anyway - this is looking northeastish, the underside of the clouds are lit by the lights of Campbell River.

Fuji X-T1, 30 second exposure

01/03/16

Photos of the Day from Island Nature’s Flickr Group

Disclosure

Island Nature is a member of the Canadian Amazon Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to books on amazon.ca. A small percentage of each sale helps support this web site and you pay no additional fees for the book!