Blue-eyed Grass at South Beach

June 25th, 2010 | by | 7 Comments
Published in Botany, Flowers
Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Shore Blue-eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium littorale)

Shore Blue-eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium littorale) Flower #1

One of the plants that I’ve been trying to photograph for years is Blue-eyed Grass. I never seem to get the timing right – I’m either too early and find this iris in bud or too late and it has already gone to seed.

Shore Blue-eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium littorale)

Shore Blue-eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium littorale) Flower #2

Today, while out scouting a route for tomorrow’s guided walk about plants that live on rocky outcrops I found several patches of Shore Blue-eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium littorale) in bloom at South Beach in Pacific Rim National Park Reserve on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. I was extremely happy to finally have the opportunity to photograph this beautiful member of the Iris Family (Iridaceae). Like both the species and common name suggests, this iris is found close to the ocean.

Shore Blue-eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium littorale)

Shore Blue-eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium littorale) Flower #3

Shore Blue-eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium littorale)

Shore Blue-eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium littorale) Flower #4

Shore Blue-eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium littorale)

A metalic fly lands on the flower of Shore Blue-eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium littorale).

1. Hugh says:

June 25th, 2010 at 7:50 pm (#)

Very nice pictures, Dave. A favourite plant of mine. Stupid fly, wrecking the last one.

2. Don't Bug Me! says:

June 25th, 2010 at 8:14 pm (#)

That is one gorgeous flower!

3. Carol Carson says:

June 25th, 2010 at 10:15 pm (#)

Stunning photographs of a truly gorgeous plant. I’m happy the timing finally cooperated to help you realize a dream!

4. Dave says:

June 26th, 2010 at 3:08 pm (#)

Thanks folks – we went out there again today and the flowers were all closed up, seems like either they need a little sun to fully open or the bloom was a one day thing!

5. Dave says:

June 26th, 2010 at 3:09 pm (#)

Thanks Hugh – I worked really hard to get that fly in focus : )

6. Brauna says:

June 29th, 2010 at 8:43 pm (#)

Nice shots of a lovely little gem. You were so lucky! Timing is everything.

7. Island Nature  :: Golden-eyed Grass says:

July 20th, 2011 at 4:11 pm (#)

[…] califoricum). I had seen Blue-eyed Grass (S. idahoense var. macounii) in bloom for the first time last year out at South Beach in Pacific Rim National Park Reserve, but had never seen this other member of the Iris family […]

Record a Comment

Related Posts

Join 128 other subscribers

Island Nature on Tumblr

• photo from Tumblr

Confounded by a Curb

Something about the shorter fall days and wet pavement that follows autumn rains that brings the feral carts out at night, maybe it’s the easy rolling and cooler weather. They still run into problems when they encounter a curb, silly things.

Fuji X100S, VSCO Kodak Royal Gold 400 - Tungsten

• photo from Tumblr

Waiting for the Tide

I’m starting to like the mudflats out in the Courtenay estuary, they’re a little bit messy  with odd rocks but there are some old pieces of drift logs with plenty of character. And at a low tide, the wet mud picks up the colour in the sky. Tonight, all the action was behind me toward town and I was hoping that the clouds to the east would get some of that western red - there was a touch a little later on but not enough. Shooting toward Courtenay it’s difficult to get a pleasing horizon line from the mudflats.

Fuji X-T1, VSCO Kodak Portra 160

• photo from Tumblr

Boston Creek

I thought I’d explore Boston Creek out by Comox Lake this Sunday, it’s a nice creek and there’s a waterfall somewhere up the canyon. I didn’t get too far, the flow is fairly low but there was a section with a deep pool and high rock sides a short distance from the road that I wasn’t able to get around without getting wet. Instead, I focused on the little riffles and boulder falls between the pool and the road, looking for compositions without too much contrast. The texture in the rocks is delicious - this creek has a lot of potential I think and I’m planning another attempt to get to the falls soon.

Fuji X-T1, Fuji Classic Chrome camera profile, B+W 6-stop ND filter

Photos of the Day from Island Nature’s Flickr Group

Member of

• Wildlife Photography Blogs

Island Nature is a member of the Canadian Amazon Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to books on A small percentage of each sale helps support this web site and you pay no additional fees for the book!

Creative Commons License

Images and writing by Dave Ingram are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.

Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Island Nature copyright.